Today I’m going to share with you a very simple and easy recipe to make ABC soup. I almost do this every week because its so easy that every time when we come back from work, we can just eat it straight. By the way, I use a slow cooker to make this soup.
(1 – Pai Kwat soak in salt and hot water, 2 – Pour out the hot water after 5 mins, 3 – Ingredients (1 peeled carrot, onion (not peeled yet), 2 tomatoes and 1 peeled potato), 4 – All ingredients chopped into small pieces)
Total servings: 4 bowls (4 persons)
1 medium size carrot
1 medium size potato (size of your fist)
1 medium size onion (size of your fist)
4 pieces pai kwat (Pork bone or pork ribs)
1 red apple (optional)
1. Rinse the pork with water and rub the pork with the salt to clean it
2. Soak the pork (with the salt) with hot boiled water for 3 – 5 minutes to remove the fatty oil
3. Remove carrot and potato skin and chop into small pieces
4. Remove the outer layer of the onions, cut into half and start peeling the onions
5. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces
6. (Optional) Remove the red apple skin and chop into small pieces. Remove the seeds.
7. Pour away the hot water and rinse the pork again
8. Put everything (carrots, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, pai kwat and red apples) into the slow cooker
9. Pour 4 bowls of water (3000ml)
You can leave it overnight, or you can drink it after 5 hours. So by the time you get home from work, it is ready to drink. Just put it on low fire. I don’t add salt or MSG to this soup because my husband and I thought that the soup tastes rich and good enough to drink without it. You can add salt if you find that the soup is tasteless. Or other alternative is to add 1 or 2 more tomatoes in it. But so far with my ingredients above, I don’t have to add anything.
Actually you can add many things into ABC soup, depending on how big is your slow cooker. You can add vegetable like white raddish or old cucumber, or even spinach.
What other ingredients that you would normally add into ABC soup? Let me know on your comments below!